Sacred Ground

Today I am grateful for the chance to see my sister Ruth and watch my niece Ellie play volleyball yesterday. I am also grateful for the quiet that can bring clarity of thoughts.

Clarity of thought is often a goal but less often a reality for me, especially in times of concern for others and for the life circumstances some are facing.

These words from Brother David bring me comfort today:

"Any place is sacred ground, for it can become a place of encounter with the divine Presence." 
Br. David Steindl-Rast

The divine Presence. Great Spirit. God. Higher Power. Call it what you like. The important thing for me is that I have faith in this Presence, that I can seek guidance and direction from the Great Spirit. And I can do that anywhere. It needn't be in a certain building or at a certain time. 

I considered this as I walked our dog Oliver this morning. Pausing to look at the moon and stars. Feeling my footfalls strike on solid ground. Breathing in the cold air and feeling it on my face. Hearing a few early morning sounds in our neighborhood.

Sacred ground. Sacred moments. All of it. Peace and comfort can be found there. 

Comments