Not Just Another Day

Today I am grateful for Sam's wrestling season this year and the very strong program he is fortunate to be part of. I am also grateful for my seeming knack of remembering dates.

I remember birthdays, sobriety dates, anniversaries, other significant dates. I will often act on that memory with a card or email sent, a phone call or a text, some writing applied, or prayers said. I appreciate this memory, though it is slipping some. I augment it by writing things down or giving myself reminders.

Though a true blessing, this memory of mine also brings me difficult reminders, painful memories.
But I wouldn't have it any other way. Life is both full of joy and riddled by pain. To accept both as part of life makes the joy more intense, the pain more tolerable.

In recent days our grandson turned three, a first birthday after the death of a dear friend's child came and went, the first anniversary of a cousin's death was marked, sobriety milestones were celebrated. Bookends of joy, terrible loss in the middle.

We get so many days that a lot of them run together. But each day is not just another day. They are days to honor because they are honoring very special people, people who deeply touched others.

Living gratefully helps me avoid the trap of days running together. Each day is a gift, with treasures to be found. Ask anyone who has lost a loved one if they wish they could have another day with them, even just a few hours.

Life is precious. Life is fragile. Today is a gift. Mindful gratitude honors it all.

Comments