Hold On

Today I am grateful for the lengthening daylight and the hope of spring. I am also grateful that this practice of living gratefully helps me take less for granted in my life, in my days.

Yesterday's "on hold" is today's "hold on." Let's go with some thoughts of a random nature on this one. As a writer, I sometimes have one train of thought. At other times, several trains leave the station for destinations unknown. I enjoy the process of seeing where the writing process takes me.

*One of my first thoughts was of the Wilson Phillips song "Hold On."  I liked it long before it was part of the hit comedy movie "Bridesmaids." "Why do you lock yourself up in these chains? No one change your life except for you. Hold on for one more day." These were just some of the lyrics that resonated with me when the song came out in early 1990, when I was not yet 25 years old and not yet sober for a year.

*I need to tell some of the things on my to-do list to hold on until I take a rest, or at least a pause. Many things I think must get done today, or soon, can actually wait. What shouldn't wait are the times of rest, the breaks in a busy day. Even a minute or two can be refreshing, especially mentally.

*In some situations, personally and professionally, it is okay, even better than okay, to say "hold on!" This isn't right, this isn't working, this isn't worth it, etc. These aren't usually complicated things. It might be as simple as "Lisa, hold on, there's no way you will get this all done now. Prioritize." But there are times where someone has offended or assumed and I can calmly say, "Hold on, that's not what I said, or that is something I can't agree to, or I am going to have to say no."

Life is not on hold. It keeps going minute by minute, hour by hour. Am I here for it?

Hold on, life is meant to be experienced fully. Stop blocking that experience with too many demands on self and others.

Comments