Shoveling Through

Today I am grateful for my physical and mental capabilities, a much-needed nap yesterday afternoon, and the job I get to go to today.

We have had a pattern of bitterly cold weather for a few days, a brief warming which then brings snow, and a plunge back to the cold. That has given me opportunities to bundle up and be grateful for my warm clothing and boots. It has also given me the chance to get out and shovel snow.

I enjoy shoveling snow. I always have. It is partly because I like clean driveways and sidewalks, and that means less wet mess brought inside. But it is in large part because I appreciate being outside in the elements and being physically able to do the task at hand. I also enjoy tasks where I can easily see the progress I am making.

I wrote about this in an essay titled "The Philosophy of Shoveling the Driveway" which made it into The Des Moines Register in February of 2011. Read it in this post from February of 2013.

Sometimes snow is light and easy to shovel. Sometimes it is wet and heavy. Sometimes a broom is all one needs. Sometimes the job will take a shovel and more time.

Life is the same. Our burdens are light and easy to carry some of the time. At other times, our challenges weigh us down and impede progress. Often, we have some of both in our lives. If I only focus on the heavy burdens, I exhaust myself mentally and emotionally, and the weight seems to get heavier.

If I can focus at least some of my energy on what is going well, on pausing in mindful gratitude, there is at least some lightening and lessening of the heaviness. I can move forward. I have hope. That is enough.

Comments