Lucy, Dixie, and Gertie

Today I am grateful for the stars visible in this morning's clear sky. I am also grateful for the comforting glow of lights from our holiday decorations, and for a phone conversation with my brother and his wife.

So who are Lucy, Dixie, and Gertie? I don't personally know Lucy and Dixie. They were just random dogs with their owners on the trail as I went for my run yesterday morning. Their owners, women I also didn't know, out getting exercise on a sunny and chilly morning, used their dogs' names as I ran by them.

Random dogs and people, all of us sharing the trail and the return of sunshine after plenty of cloudy and dreary days this week. Random connections like this can bring concrete reminders of our small part in the larger whole, of the simple kindness in a smile and a pleasant greeting as we pass one another. No big deal, but also no harm done. The world could do with more simple kindnesses, less harm done.

I do personally know Gertie. She's my mom. I called her when I got back from my run. We had our usual conversation topics-weather, health, upcoming events. She used this line she has become fond of lately-"I have a good memory, it just doesn't last long"-at least twice in our brief conversation.

She has been in the nursing home since May of this year. I think she would agree with me and the rest of my siblings that she is where she needs to be. How she feels about that, and how the rest of us each feel about it and her decline, is a wide range of emotions, many left unsaid. When I pray for my mom now I pray for her peace and comfort.

Peace and comfort. For all of us. It starts with sitting here in the present moment and accepting it.

Comments