Understood

Today I am grateful for the energy within the walls of a school, and the people who feed that energy.  I am also grateful for a good cup of coffee this morning.

Understood. I believe we all desire to feel understood. Validated. Heard. Feeling understood connects us to others, creates lasting bonds, brings comfort.

In order to understand, we need to listen. We cannot be heard if we aren't listened to. We cannot hear others, truly hear them, unless we are giving them our full attention. Both ears. Our eyes. Our mind. Our heart. Only then, do we really take in their words and the other nonverbal that also speak to us in deeper ways than words alone can.

Humans were built to listen to one another, but I am concerned how our world today, especially in our age of advanced technology and multiple non-human screens, seems to lack listening skills.

I am guilty of this like anyone else, but I try to be in tune to it. Put the phone down. Look up from the computer screen. Stop thinking about what needs to be done next.  Simply pause. Listen. Hear.

The feeling of being genuinely heard and understood is one I have been blessed with many times in many ways with many people. My hope is that I have given the same in return.

We may be built to listen to one another, but I also believe it takes practice to be a good listener.
Today I will practice real listening. I will seek to give understanding to others.

Comments