28

Today I am grateful for the conversations I have had with siblings in recent days and for the recovery from alcoholism that is available to me a day at a time.

I took my last drink of alcohol on September 3, 1989. Just a couple beers. Just. Those same beers had been my best friend and most formidable foe for 10 years. The next day began long-term sobriety that continues to this day, day by day. It has made all the difference. It is one of my deepest sources of gratitude. It is what motivates me to write, run, love, give back.

I was born on July 6, 1965. I was given a second chance at life beginning September 4, 1989. A second chance after many nights that could have ended all chances, ended my life. A second chance after feeling deep despair and that there was no way out. A second chance I have tried to honor, day by day.

Recovery is not a given. Daily effort for a daily disease. Complacency can be dangerous. Late bloomer and slow learner that I am, it took time for key messages to make their way through. My widest hope in life is the opportunity to keep blooming and learning.

Thank you to so many who have made a difference along the way. Special thanks to Sheila, Deb, Zoe, Sarah, and Leonice. Their words and actions allowed me to get to 9/4/89. And to Sonny, Terrie, Phyl, and Dorothy who have guided me to many moments of clarity. Always the Great Spirit/Higher Power who is patient and gentle with me and my ego.

And my husband Darcy who knows the time I commit to recovery efforts is time I need. He has supported me since we met several years into my sobriety.

I always write a poem or two to mark this day. Today's poem is "28." A simple 28 words to capture my life from before I even started drinking until this day, this very moment.

28

Uncomfortable
Fearful
Shy
Restrained
Thirsty

Carefree
Uninhibited
Caught
Ashamed
Drunk

Careless
Irritable
Trapped
Hating
Tired
Dying

Pitiful
Hopeless
Addicted
Powerless
Fragile
Sober

Surrendering
Accepting
Praying
Sharing
Serving
Recovering

Comments